Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links, this means at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you purchase a product through them.
- One litre half cream
- 500g of sugar
- 2 pinches of salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- One litre double cream
- 1 can (or 5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 450g of mashed ripe bananas
- In a large saucepan, heat the half cream. Once it reaches 175°, add the salt and sugar and stir until it is dissolved.
- Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture from the large saucepan into the eggs.
- Add the egg mixture into the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over a low heat until the mixture reaches 160° and evenly coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove the large saucepan from the heat and cool it quickly by placing the pan in a bowl of ice water. Stir the mixture continuously for around 2 and a half minutes. Stir in the double cream, evaporated milk and vanilla extract.
- Press cling film onto the surface of the mixture and refrigerate overnight.
- Stir in the mashed bananas. Pour the mixture into the cylinder of the ice cream freezer until it’s 2/3 full and refrigerate the remaining mixture until you are ready to freeze it. Once the ice cream is frozen, transfer it to a container and put it in the freezer. Freeze the ice cream for 3 hours before serving.