Your babies cries are usually quickly rectified by giving them a bottle or changing their bum however when your baby is crying in their sleep it can be upsetting and a little bizarre. What is your baby dreaming about to make them cry? Is it possible for your baby to have nightmares and dreams just like us?
All babies have dreams but babies can only dream about what they know about. Babies don’t know about murderers and nasty people yet so they won’t be having nightmares about that. Your babies’ dreams and nightmares are much more likely to be about their experiences throughout the day. Many scientists say that very young babies process any experiences they have learnt during the day when they go to sleep and a nightmare can be as simple as a memory of your leaving them for a point in the day.
It can be difficult if your baby is crying in their sleep at night. It is hard enough the baby waking for feeds but if your baby is crying for no reason it can be frustrating.
There is a term called “Night Crier” this term is used if your baby is over 4 months old and cries at least once a night. If your baby wakes most nights, it is worth going to the doctor or mentioning it to your midwife so that they can carry out the appropriate tests.
It can be difficult for new born babies to understand sleep cycles and differentiate from day time and night time. It is important for your baby to have an established bedtime routine and ensure that is carried out each evening.
There is a chance that your baby has colic, please see my page colic symptoms for more information.
Tips to help your little one
Bed time routine helps babies feel more relaxed.
- Get baby familiar with their bedroom, a lot of new parents make the mistake of decorating the nursery and then never going in the room with the baby until they are ready for their own room. It is important that your baby is comfortable and happy in their own bedroom. Make sure you change your babies bum in their bedroom from day one so that they get used to their surroundings.
- Ensure nappies are clean before bedtime.
- Give your baby a bottle just before bed.
- Try and keep the noise down at bedtime.
- It is important to not appear stressed around your baby, babies can sense when their mother is upset and stressed and this is a contributing factor to sleepless nights.
- Remain calm when your little one is stressed
Carla is the founder of MyBump2Baby. Carla has a huge passion for linking together small businesses and growing families. Carla’s humorous, non-filtered honesty has won the hearts of thousands of parents throughout the UK.
She has previously written for the Metro and made appearances on BBC News, BBC 5 live, LBC etc. Carla is a finalist for Blogger of the Year award with Simply Ladies inc. Carla is also the host of the popular Fifty Shades of Motherhood podcast and The MyBump2Baby Expert podcast.