https://www.mybump2baby.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/img_7305.jpg 1951 1237 Daisy Carberry https://www.mybump2baby.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Logo-1-300x81.png Daisy Carberry2018-02-18 22:43:032018-02-18 22:43:03Nate's First Swim
I’ve been so so excited to take Nathaniel swimming! I didn’t really want to take him before he was 12 weeks though because for the baby seat float I wanted his neck to be really strong! And I wanted him to have Atleast one set of jabs done! ( he has his second set next week but that’s a different topic and will make me cry)
So as he hit 12 weeks I decided it was the time! I asked my cousin Summer, also Nates god mother to be to come with me! She has a daughter who is 18 months so she would be a pro and knows what she’s doing when it came to taking a baby swimming! I needed the help and reassurance! And obviously I also enjoy her and Raegans company!
So as a bit of prep:
1. I ordered the baby seat float from Amazon. You can get them from some swimming pools but they try and rip you off so much. I did lotssss of research of the best one and I wanted one with lots of head support. So I found one on amazon and it is 100% for 3 months+ whereas a lot of them are for a little older! Or they say they’re for 3 months+ but then you read the product description and realise they’re not! The link is here – https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0000AQVGH/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516893858&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=babybundle&dpPl=1&dpID=41ZdjYIiOwL&ref=plSrch
2. I needed a swimming outfit for Nate! And OMG!!!!! They’re horrific!!! Honestly I could not just find a plain one! They alllllllllll had characters or bright colours or weird patterns on! I had to settle for this one from Next. Which is actually cute! It’s grown on me! I usually hate dinosaurs but this one is okk! And trust me when I say it was the best out of a bad bunch! I wanted to make sure he’s nice and warm!
3. Swimming nappies! So I just got the standard little swimmers from Huggies! You have to remember them!!!!! Not really much more I can say on nappies lol!
4. Make sure you call the swimming pool you’re going to! It’s so important for babies to be in a especially hot pool! So call up and make sure the baby pool is nice and warm! My cousin called up and they said the baby pool is 31 degrees! Perfect!
5. Packing the bag! Things like – towel with hood which I found SO handy for having on pool side because babies can get very cold! normal towel, ready made bottles which I also kept pool side just incase! Nice warm babygrow for when he comes it! I packed a proper outfit and ended up putting him back in a sleepsuit he was wearing!
6. Swimming costume for yourself! I am so not bikini ready!!! I don’t feel comfortable at the moment! Well I had a bit of a palava! I ordered 2 one pieces from Asos and the night before they hadn’t arrived!!!! So I tried on bikini and was like well that’s a no from me! You could see my c section scar and mum tum was too horrif! So I had to rush to Asda the night before to pick up a swimsuit! Then OBVS when I got home from swimming my asos parcel had arrived!!!!!
6. I found it so much easier having separate bags for us! So I was going to just take his changing bag but it was too small for all the stuff I needed! So I took my large travel long champ and normal size longchamp bag! I put my stuff in the big one and his stuff in the small, it made it so much easier to pack for us separately! Also I put all the stuff I needed on the pool side in the small bag! I recommend these bags because they’re like a plasticy waterproof material which won’t ruin!
7. Also I found it really useful taking a dressing gown!!! For when I got him changed again and he was all warm! I have the thick fleece one from my first years! He really loved being wrapped up in it! Comfy baba!
Okay so that’s all the prep done! Now the fun part ????????
So we went In a family changing room! Nate was in normal clothes so I got him in his swimming nappy and swimming costume in the cubicle! And he was fine! It was only when we sat him up for a picture where he wasn’t happy! I also blew up the float in there which took about2 minutes!
We then went into the normal pool bit and I put him in his float! To begin with he was like .. what the actual F mum…
But then he got used to it and liked it!!!!!
We went around the lazy river in his float which he seemed to like! At coral reef there’s a giant pirate ship in the centre and people can shoot water at people from it and Nate got it right in the face which he didn’t love too much ??♀️? we then took him into the baby bit which was warmer and busier! And he cried!!!! Like really cried I think he just got a bit cold so I went and got his hooded towel and sat on the side with him and he calmed down! He literally loves just watching people! So he loved watching all the kids and all the lights and water etc! He warmed up so we took him back in but without the float as I wanted him to be on me and warm! Which he really loved! We took him around the lazy river etc but I was holding him which was fine! I think the float is good because it reassures you and I know he was safe! Then when you get more comfortable I’d take them out of it! He likes being under the water to his shoulders! He liked being spun around slowly too! He was happy if he could see all the lights and the all water around us being shot about etc! However 10 minutes after that he decided he wasn’t happy again so started crying so I took him out again and wrapped him up and he fell asleep on me! So it completely fired him out bless him! He hated getting changed to begin with but when he was dry and back in his vest he was fine!
So overall it was a success! A few tears but ALOT less than expected! I want to try take him once fortnightly! I 100% recommend taking a dressing gown! And getting a float seat!
Lots of love,Daisy & Nate x