Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links, this means at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you purchase a product through them.
Tommee Tippee Advanced Steri-Dryer
When you have a newborn you are constantly making sure things are clean and safe… or maybe that’s just me that’s over the top about germs! Sterilising items such as dummies, bottles or other baby feeding accessories happens in most households where there is a baby; and with so many different sterilisers around it can be confusing what to use. I love the idea of always having the sterilised bottles ready for my daughter.
Different Types of Sterilisers
I had a standard electric steriliser with my first child and while it was great and did the job I wasn’t hugely keen on it because I always felt the bottles were too wet after being sterilised; this is probably just me but when I saw that there was new machine also drys the bottles I was really really intrigued by it!
Tommee Tippee have a great range of sterilisers from microwave units to a single travel system and even a high tech UV version. The one I had my eye on for sometime was the Advanced Steri-Dryer Electric Steriliser to stop wet bottles and to have a nice dry sterilised bottle for my little girl instead.
Advanced Steri-Dryer Electric Steriliser.
[content-egg-block template=custom/mb2b modules=Ebay limit=1 offset=0]
This is one of the newer steriliser machines available from Tommee Tippee. 99.9% of germs and viruses are killed without the need for harsh chemicals. It just uses all natural steam. Using a steam based steriliser also allows for that extra level of cleaning in all the hard to reach and small parts of bottles, teats, breastfeeding equipments and other accessories that you want to ensure are as clean as possible.
It has a great compact design and comes in stylish black design and measures approximately 38cm high by 25cm wide by 18cm deep. It fits nicely on the kitchen side without taking up much room at all.
What Does This Machine Do?
The machine has three different functions, you can sterilise only, dry only or do both together on a automated setting. It can sterilise and dry up to 6 bottles in 40minutes and they stay sterilised for up to 24 hours in the machine with the lid closed.
I think being able to sterilise 6 standard closer to nature bottles at the same time is a great feature as it gives you a good amount of bottles clean and ready to go at once. The amount you can sterilise at the same time of course depends on the size and capacity of the bottles. You can also include dummies and other equipment that should be sterilised to ensure these are as clean as possible, but you should ensure there is adequate space around the items for them to be sterilised effectively.
Basic Usage Instructions
To use the steriliser you should include all items are clean and free from dirt and then follow the below steps:
- Remove the lid and racks from your steriliser’s base.
- Pour 120ml of water onto the stainless steel heater surface. Do not go over the maximum fill line. If you only want to use the drying function, you don’t need to add any water.
- Place the lower rack back into the base and place clean bottles with their opening facing downwards onto the lower posts.
- Place bottle hoods on the bottle bases.
- Insert the upper rack and place bottle accessories including teats and screw rings inside.
- Place the lid back on top, making sure that it fits securely onto the upper rack without any gaps.
- Plug your steriliser into a power outlet.
- Press the on/off button. You will hear a beep and the button will light up.
- Choose the setting you want to use.
- Once the steriliser and dryer has completed its cycle, allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes before you open it.
- After each use pour away any remaining water in the base by tipping it sideways over a sink, making sure that no water gets into the air vent and wipe clean with a damp cloth.
Automatic Setting on this Tommee Tippee Electric Steriliser and Dryer
This is probably the setting used the most as it sterilises and drys the bottles in 45 minutes which is perfect for night time feeds and early morning feeds too.
To use this setting:
- Press the Auto button once. You will hear a beep and the sterilisation cycle will start. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
- Once the sterilising cycle has finished, the drying cycle will automatically follow. The drying time is approximately 30 minutes.
- Once the drying cycle is complete, you will hear 5 beeps and your steriliser and dryer will automatically switch off. You should allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes before you open it to prevent any chance of steam or heat burns.
Electric Steriliser and Dryer Setting
This setting just sterilises the bottles just like a normal electric steriliser.
To use this Dry Cycle setting:-
- Press the sterilise button once. You will hear a beep and the sterilisation cycle will start. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
- Once the sterilising cycle is complete, you will hear 5 beeps and your steriliser and dryer will automatically switch off. You should allow a further 5 minutes before you open it so it cools slightly and there is no risk of steam burning you.
Drying Cycle Setting
This setting will just dry what is in the machine. So you may have earlier just used the sterilising setting as you needed a bottle quicker than the full automatic setting; having this option then means you can dry what else is in the machine.
If you are just using the drying setting you do not need to add any water to the unit.
To use this setting:
- Press the dry button once. You will hear a beep and the drying cycle will start. This will take approximately 30 minutes.
- Once the drying cycle is complete, you will hear 5 beeps and your steriliser and dryer will automatically switch off. Again it is advised to allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes before you open it.
How To Keep The Electric Steam Steriliser Machine Working Well
To keep the machine in good working condition it is recommended that you regularly clean and descale the base unit and shelves. You should remove bottles and any rackets before doing this.
Excess water from a cycle should be disposed of and the metal plate wiped over to avoid excessive calcium build ups.
Descaling is recommended approximately every 2 to 4 weeks depending on the hardness of the water in your area. Ensure that the descaler used is suitable for use on stainless steel.
The air filter should also be replaced approximately every 6 months. The shelves can be cleaned with regular hot water however abrasive cleaners should be avoided.
Is this baby bottle steriliser worth It?
Yes! I love the drying feature and don’t think that the 45 minutes for a sterilising and drying setting is long at all. Having the bottles there ready to go for the day knowing they are super clean and super sterile is a great comfort and again makes life with a baby that bit easier.
Let’s have a look what other MyBump2Baby mums are saying about this product:
“I have been using a breast pump for a while now so although i am breast feeding we mainly use bottles for ease. I purchased this sterliser because i didn’t like the idea of the water that can linger in bottles teats for hours after sterlising, i am not saying that the water had harmful bacteria but i really liked the idea of everything being dry ready for my baby. Preparing bottles is easy with this machine, i make sure this machine goes on twice daily so that we always have bottles to hand. The cycle only takes 45 minutes so it is perfect, even if you are down to your last bottle. I do use the tommee tippee branded bottles with mine just because those ones agree with my baby best. I have had no issues with my baby’s tummy which has been good, with my first child i used to” Amy 37
We also recently reviewed the Tommee Tippee Day & Night Machine, you can read that here.
What Bottles Work With This Quick and Convenient Sterilising kit?
With the tommee tippee steriliser you of course need bottles too, one of the most popular bottles made by Tommee Tippee are the Closer to Nature Bottles.
Closer to Nature Bottles
[content-egg-block template=custom/mb2b limit=1 offset=0]
[content-egg-block template=custom/mb2b modules=Ebay limit=1 offset=1]
The closer to nature bottles come in 150ml or 260ml sizes with slow flow teats and 340ml with a medium flow teat which is great for babies over three months. I have always used the larger 260ml but some people may find the smaller bottles easier for little one to take too.
Most Breast Like Teat
The teats on these bottles are shaped like a breast and therefore are usually easier for baby to get used too. Being made from soft silicone it ensures baby can get to it easily and have a comfortable feed. They also have a built in anti colic valve to prevent excessive airflow throughout a feed so baby gets more of the milk and less of the bubbles which can lead to uncomfortable wind for them!
The bottles separate into four parts so are easy to clean. They are also completely BPA free. Medium flow and fast flow teats can also be purchased as your child grows and needs them.
What Sort Of Range Is There?
The bottles come in clear, colours and attractive patterns such as the love pip the panda we’ve been gifted!
Tommee Tippee have a huge range of other bottles such as anti colic, silicone and even glass bottles so these is bound to be one that suits yours and your baby’s needs.
Are the Baby Bottles Worth it?
Yes! I used these baby bottles with my first and will be using them with my second. They have a great design and my first took to them so easily I’m hoping my second will too.
For more details or to purchase the bottles follow:- https://www.tommeetippee.com/en-gb/product/closer-to-nature-decorated-baby-bottles
To find out more or purchase the steriliser please follow:- https://www.tommeetippee.com/en-gb/product/advanced-steri-dryer-electric-steriliser#description
Jess Bleeze is a mum of 1 & has a contagious passion for supporting growing families and supporting small businesses in Tendring & Colchester and throughout the UK.